Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (originally named Jabber)
XMPP is essentially the protocol behind instant messaging (IM), such as GTalk, MSN, etc. It is my belief that there is a lack of understanding about the significance of XMPP for communication in artificial intelligence and the need for XMPP-Voice bridging, in the form of an IM – Voice Bridge. Since XMPP is the open IM standard, it has the potential to be the lingua franca for chatbots, allowing them to interact with all other networked systems, as well as other chatbots. XMPP interfaces, along with XML APIs, are ideal ways to create pluggable intelligences, whether Pandorabots, Verbots, OpenCog, ad infinitum.
Why is there no web-based voice-in / voice-out solution available for instant messaging (IM)? I still think a STT-TTS system with a generic IM/XMPP backend would be a very useful product, especially when attached to an avatar system. Avatar systems need to be modularized to accept *any* XMPP compatible intelligence (chatbot engine) on the backend. I need a Windows desktop program that can plug any XMPP session into the backend and enable full voice interactivity with any Jabber chatbot. I’ve been searching for a Windows-compatible desktop avatar (talking head) frontend, which can easily accept any Jabber/XMPP IM backend.
If Twitter is like a global brain, then the XMPP-Twitter bridge is the way for everyman to connect their artificial intelligence with it. It seems @chitterim is for GTalk what @TwitOnMSN is for Windows Live Messenger, an XMPP – Twitter bridge.
Unfortunately, IMified.com (@IMified) is to be discontinued 01 September 2012. Some Jabber/XMPP bots may not be chatbots per se, but rather channel management utilities. Jabber.org is the original IM service based on XMPP, the open standard for instant messaging, and one of the biggest nodes on the open XMPP network.
- @CiscoSystems .. what ever happened to the 2001 Nuance-Jabber IM-Voice bridge: “Mobile Instant Messaging Gets Vocal” ?
- @DragonDictator .. why is there no fully interactive XMPP-VoIP gateway available to speak directly with machines for the Internet of Things?
- @googlevoice .. the Internet of Things needs a fully interactive XMPP-VoIP gateway in order to speak directly with machines via #GoogleVoice
- @akalsey .. still believe the Internet of Things: voice to machine, and machine to machine natural language would best be mediated via XMPP
- @Skype .. fyi, what I want is fully interactive instant message to voice (IM-VoIP) conversation from #Skype voice with any XMPP interface
- @RayMuzyka @DoktorZee .. what is needed is an avatar (web & mobile) that can accept ANY plugNplay intelligence on the backend, i.e. via XMPP
- @zapleetweet .. do you offer a bidirectional XMPP instant message IM – Voice bridge (text to speech <> speech to text) ?!?
- @ScreamingBee .. I’m looking for a robust XMPP instant message (IM) <-> Voice bridge (text to speech plus speech to text) ?!?
- @iSpeech .. help me out, I’m looking for a robust XMPP instant message (IM) <-> Voice bridge (text to speech plus speech to text) ?!?
- @chatbot4u .. FYI, you need a native Twitter binding in addition to your XMPP instant messaging options
- @SitePal .. I want a *generic* (customizable) iPhone avatar app that can accept any XMPP compatible AI Engine or indeed any IM on backend
- @justinawilcox .. are there any @Articulate products for realtime web or mobile XMPP compatible AI applications, like @Pandorabots ??
- @Screenr .. can your product be used on the web in realtime with an XMPP compatible AI Engine on the backend, such as @Pandorabots ??
- @Oddcast .. Re “Odd Avatar” iPhone app .. I want a turnkey (customizable) avatar app for my own AI such as @Pandorabots or other XMPP engine
- @JeffWalstrom .. I want a talking avatar app for instant messaging, plug n play any XMPP IM account on backend, IM-to-Speech & Speech-to-IM
- @nedhodge Seems that Blackberry Messenger (BBM) is not XMPP compatible .. most off-the-shelf chatbots will require an XMPP gateway
- @xtranormal Is it possible to connect XMPP into your system? Do you know of anyone using chatbots with your TTS and character animations?
- asdot.googlecode.com .. Asdot-bot or pybot for @Nimbuzz (see: Installing stOrm bot for Nimbuzz)
- cellbots.googlecode.com .. XMPP chat to send commands to robots (see: cellbots.com)
- github.com/sstrigler/chatbot .. a jabber channel bot written in perl .. by @zeank
- chatbot4u.com .. SaaS chatbot with native bindings to IM networks .. @chatbot4u
- chitter.im .. a Gtalk bot that allows you to communicate with Twitter very simply .. @chitterim
- sourceforge.net/projects/coolbot .. PHP Jabber CoolBot for Windows using MySQL .. by @Nark0Z
- sourceforge.net/projects/dude-bot .. a friendly learning chatterbot with XMPP support
- enjit.com .. an IM service that connects your Gtalk/XMPP/Jabber client to your FriendFeed real time feed
- excla.im .. a jabber bot that allows you to update your Twitter status very simply
- garotbot.floft.net .. GTalk chatbot made with Jabber-Net, AIMLbot, and WordNet .. by @Floft
- gozerbot.org .. Python IRC bot and Jabber bot in one
- friendfeed.com/about/im .. FriendFeed over IM, sent to your Google Talk / Jabber account whenever there’s new activity
- j-eliza.appspot.com .. a simple XMPP-chatbot version of ELIZA
- github.com/brettstimmerman/jabber-bot .. Easily create simple regex powered Jabber bots
- binfalse.de/software/jabber-vs-twitter .. Perl bot to interact with Twitter via Jabber .. by @binfalse
- jabberhooks.com .. JabberHooks lets you receive XMPP messages via HTTP POST (aka webhooks) .. by @progrium
- sourceforge.net/projects/jmbf .. Jabber MUD Bot Framework allows a MUD server to be run as a Jabber bot
- karaka.googlecode.com .. a Skype/XMPP gateway that connects the Skype and XMPP clouds .. by @neilstratford
- freecode.com/projects/nagzilla .. a Jabber relay bot
- neutron.googlecode.com .. a Jabber bot in Python
- orz-bot.googlecode.com .. xmpp bot framework on top of GAE with cleverbot wrapper
- github.com/conorh/panoptibot-gae .. XMPP chatbot for Google App Engine .. by @conorh
- github.com/parlarjb/prowl-jabberbots .. for checking email and watching for disconnects which push notices using Prowl, Growl client for iOS
- pudthai.googlecode.com .. Thai language chatbot written in Python .. built on Cobe .. and running on xmpppy .. by @wngamsaad
- github.com/hj91/PyAIML-XMPP-Chat-Bot .. Python chatbot using XMPP and PyAIML .. by @HJ91
- pygtalkrobot.googlecode.com .. an open source python gtalk bot framework using XMPPPY library
- pyicqt.googlecode.com .. ICQ transport for XMPP .. a way for users to be logged into ICQ via their Jabber .. implemented in Python
- github.com/Strubbl/Pynder .. Pynder is a Jabber Chat Bot for MUCs written in Python (MUC=”Multi-User Chat” room like IRC) .. by @Strubbl
- sourceforge.net/projects/pypal .. a jabber based chatterbot that can be used to launch commands remotely
- thp.io/2007/python-jabberbot .. a simple Jabber Bot for Python
- github.com/ollej/shoutbridge .. Jabber chat bot with multiple plugins, including two-way communication with Twitter .. by @ollej
- igniterealtime.org/projects/smack .. Smack API is an open source XMPP (Jabber) client library for instant messaging and presence, pure Java
- spade2.googlecode.com .. Smart Python multi-Agent Development Environment, Multi-Agent Platform based on XMPP
- github.com/perimosocordiae/TheGoddamnChatbot .. chatbot framework+implementation for XMPP-based MUC room chats and IRC
- simulacra.in/projects/tweetbot .. a Jabber bot for Twitter, written in Ruby .. by @_anks
- tweetjid.com .. Jabber/XMPP bot made to receive Twitter Friends Timeline updates (AppEngine based, powered by @t4j_news) .. @tweetjid
- twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/TwistedWords .. Python instant message server & client, Wokkel XMPP enhancements
- twitonmsn.com .. lets you simply follow friends’ updates and send update directly on your MSN .. @TwitOnMSN
- integrum.rubyforge.org/twitter_bot .. simple interface to twitter using xmpp4r to take advantage of the Twitter jabber interface
- coderepos.org/share/wiki/TwitterBot .. a tiny Twitter bot skelton written in Ruby, using Jabber API
- dustin.github.com/twitterspy .. twitter <-> XMPP gateway with search and track and other good stuff .. by @dl
- twitto.googlecode.com .. XMPP protocol BOT that allows user to manage twitter accounts through a simple chat .. by @renesp
- github.com/kissrobber/xmpp4r_facebook .. Expansion XMPP4R to authenticate with Facebook Connect in Ruby ..by @kissrobber
- aksw.org/Projects/xOperator .. semantic agent for xmpp / jabber network which finds and shares content about resources using RDF/SPARQL
- binfalse.de/software/xtb .. XMPP-Twitter-Bridge and connects Jabber and Twitter, written in Java .. by @binfalse
- 3D Jabber (XMPP) AI Chat Bot Environment (2011) .. “hopeful of open sourcing the project” .. by @MGFMagazine
- Creating a C# .NET Jabber Chatbot that Talks on Gmail with XMPP and AIML (2011) .. by @PrimaryObjects
- Skype adds XMPP support, IM interoperability next? (2011) .. recent Windows beta allows its users to have IM conversations with Facebook .. by @jank0
- Twitter and Me (2011) .. about PHP Jabber powered Twitter bots @note2self @rollthedice @madstatter .. by @jazzychad
- Having fun with Jabber Bots (2010) .. PyConIreland2010 video lecture .. by @victorhg
- Web hooks for ejabberd and making XMPP bots (2010) .. Making XMPP chat-bots as web applications .. by @adambcn
- App Engine SDK 1.2.5 released for Python and Java, now with XMPP support (2009) .. App Engine SDK for both Python and Java, XMPP support included
- Launch: Search Indian Railways trains via chat (2009) .. GTalk bot .. by @Cleartrip
- My first attempt at XMPP in Java App Engine (2009) .. a simple XMPP-chatbot version of ELIZA in Java App Engine
- XMPP: The Definitive Guide : Building Real-time Applications with Jabber Technologies (2009) .. book by Peter Saint-Andre etc
- SmartJabber.com – Campaign Setup (2008) .. chat agents for customer support video .. by @petersanchez
- Will XMPP be the messaging middleware for the REST Web? (2008) ..
- Twittering with Google Talk (2007) ..
- Is Jabber’s Chatbot the Command Line of the Future? (2002) ..
- Mobile Instant Messaging Gets Vocal (2001) ..