Mixed Reality (MR) is a term that refers to the integration of digital content with the user’s physical environment. This can include augmented reality (AR), where digital content is overlaid on the real world, and virtual reality (VR), where the user is fully immersed in a digitally-created environment. The key difference between the two is that while VR creates a completely artificial environment, AR enhances the user’s perception of the real world with digital content. MR is a combination of these two technologies, allowing for the creation of a hybrid environment that combines real and virtual elements in a way that allows them to interact with each other in real-time.
Mixed Reality (MR) can be accomplished in Unity game engine by using the Unity’s built-in support for both Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) development. Unity supports a wide range of VR and AR devices, such as Oculus, Vive, HoloLens, and ARKit.
To create a mixed reality experience in Unity, developers can use the Unity’s XR plugin framework that provides a consistent API for accessing device-specific functionality. The framework allows developers to write code that works across multiple devices without having to worry about device-specific APIs.
To create an AR experience, developers can use Unity’s AR Foundation package, which provides a common API for working with ARKit and ARCore, the AR SDKs provided by Apple and Google respectively. AR Foundation allows developers to create AR experiences that run on both iOS and Android devices.
To create a VR experience, developers can use Unity’s VR support, which provides a built-in camera system and input handling for VR devices. The Unity’s VR support allows developers to create VR experiences that work with a wide range of VR headsets, including Oculus, Vive, and Windows Mixed Reality.
In addition, Unity provides a wide range of built-in features and tools to create interactive and immersive MR experiences, such as physics engine, animation, and particle systems, that can be used to create realistic and interactive mixed reality environments.
The main theme in the list of titles below is the use of Unity to create mixed reality applications. Topics include the use of Unity with various mixed reality development tools such as Magic Leap, HoloLens, Vuforia, and ARKit. The titles also cover various aspects of mixed reality development including building mixed reality portals, creating mixed reality games, and using Unity to develop for different mixed reality platforms such as Windows Mixed Reality and Vive. Additionally, some of the titles also include tutorials on how to test and debug mixed reality applications in Unity.
- Building Mixed reality with the new capabilities in Unity : Build 2018
- Develop Industrial Mixed Reality applications with Unity : Build 2018
- Part 2 of building mixed reality application using Unity 3D and Magic Leap development tools.
- Part 1 of building a mixed reality application using Unity 3D and Magic Leap development tools.
- Create A Mixed Reality Duck Hunt AR Shooter Game With Unity® : Intro Scene Audio Timing
- Create A Mixed Reality Duck Hunt AR Shooter Game With Unity® : Making The Volcano Erupt
- Create A Mixed Reality Duck Hunt AR Shooter Game With Unity® : Introduction
- Unity Live at GDC – Windows Mixed Reality
- Developing For Mixed Reality With HoloLens And Unity
- Mixed reality, Unity, Vuforia, Ground plane
- Double Webcam, Microsoft Mixed Reality, Unity
- Unity Mixed Reality Portal Runtime Connection Problem
- Getting Started with Windows “Mixed Reality” Toolkit ( Unity 2017 VR Tutorial )
- Windows Mixed Reality: Course 213 – Ch. 0 – Unity setup
- Virtual Industrial Conference – Unity & HP Mixed Reality Headset
- REVIEW MIXED REALITY ENSIKLOPEDIA TATA SURYA APP [GOOGLEVR+VUFORIA+UNITY3D]
- Unity3D 2017 / Windows Mixed Reality headset, environment test (Dell Visor)
- Mixed Reality Toolkit for Unity Live Stream Tutorial Series 003
- Mixed Reality Toolkit for Unity Live Stream Tutorial Series 004
- Mixed Reality Toolkit for Unity Live Stream Tutorial Series 005
- Deploy Unity to HoloLens and Immersive Headsets – Mixed Reality Game Tutorial 13 – Deploy to Device
- Unity Particle Effects – Mixed Reality Game Tutorial 12 – Adding Particles
- Two different examples of Mixed Reality (AR&AV) for Cardboard with Unity and Vuforia
- How to create a Vive Mixed Reality Setup using Unity
- Mixed Reality Hololens Furniture App Unity 5
- My First Test for Windows Mixed Reality using Unity Game Engine!
- Universal Windows Platform Mixed Reality Development – Unity3D – C# – Gameplay Basic Setup
- Tutorial Unity 2017.3 and Vuforia 7.0 Mixed Reality with shadow
- Unity High Score – Mixed Reality Game Tutorial Part 8 – High Score System
- Mixed Reality Virtual Controller – Unity + Vuforia
- Mixed Reality House View – Unity + Vuforia
- Mixed Reality Toolkit for Unity Live Stream Tutorial Series 006
- How to Unit Test Unity – Mixed Reality Game Tutorial Part 2 – Testing and Core Logic
- Bridge Tutorial #2 – Unity Mixed Reality 101
- Mixed Reality Toolkit for Unity Live Stream Tutorial Series 002
- Tutorial – Add Mixed Reality Design Lab to Unity
- Build 2017 Unity and Windows holographic tooling and intro to mixed reality
- Mixed Reality Toolkit for Unity Live Stream Tutorial Series 001
- Building Windows Mixed Reality experiences with Unity – BRK2051
- Mixed Reality – Planetarium using Unity and Vuforia
- Windows Mixed Reality / Unity 3D Test Project
- Real-time Mixed Reality ARKit-Unity rig driven by HTC Vive _ @normalVR
- Unity3d Mixed Reality
- Real time Mixed Reality using Apple ARKit Unity rig driven by HTC Vive
- Unity crash while Testing Acer Mixed Reality Headset
- Mixed Reality Portal Unity Adam & Leap Motion for controllers
- Real-time Mixed Reality ARKit/Unity rig driven by HTC Vive | @normalVR
- Getting Started With Mixed Reality Capture – Quick Setup + Unity Integration (Oculus Rift + Touch)
- ARKit – Mixed Reality – Real world geometry occlusion – Unity 3D
- JOESID.com: Unity – Microsoft HoloLens – Mixed Reality Hologram with Gesture Control
- Holodeck Created using Vive, Unity, and Mixed-Reality | TrekVR
- Unity Roll A Ball in Mixed Reality with the HoloLens – With More Stuff!
- Mixed Reality Training in Unity – HoloLens App
- Unity Roll A Ball in Mixed Reality with the HoloLens
- Real World HoloLens Mixed Reality Development with Unity – Be Part of the Future – Rene Schulte
- Unite Europe 2016 – Real World HoloLens Mixed Reality Development with Unity Be Part of the Future
- Very early preview of Mixed Reality lessons for the Unity VR Developer Course
- Moverio BT-200 – Building VR/Mixed Reality Apps with Cardboard and Unity