Automated journalism, also known as machine-generated journalism or computer-generated journalism, refers to the use of artificial intelligence (AI) and other technologies to generate news articles, reports, and other types of journalism. Automated journalism is often used to generate content that is based on structured data sources, such as financial reports, sports statistics, or weather forecasts, or to summarize and synthesize news stories from multiple sources.
Automated journalism is used for a variety of purposes, including to reduce the workload of journalists, to provide up-to-date and accurate information in real-time, and to allow news organizations to scale their content production. It is also used to generate content for specialized or niche topics that may not be covered by traditional journalism.
Automated journalism is not intended to replace human journalists, but rather to assist them in their work and to allow them to focus on more complex and creative tasks. It is also used to supplement traditional journalism and to provide additional context and analysis for news stories.
- Algorithmic journalism: A type of journalism that uses algorithms and other automated processes to generate news stories or other types of journalism based on structured data sources or other inputs.
- Automated journalism: A type of journalism that uses artificial intelligence (AI) and other technologies to generate news articles, reports, and other types of journalism.
- Cognitive media: A type of media that uses artificial intelligence (AI) and other technologies to analyze, interpret, and understand complex data and information. Cognitive media includes a wide range of applications, including automated journalism, data visualization, and analysis.
- News bots: A type of artificial intelligence (AI) that is used to generate news articles, reports, and other types of journalism. News bots are often used to generate content based on structured data sources, such as financial reports, sports statistics, or weather forecasts.
- Pink-slime journalism: A derogatory term used to describe automated journalism or other types of journalism that are perceived as low-quality or lacking in depth or originality.
- Robot journalism: Another term for automated journalism or machine-generated journalism, which refers to the use of AI and other technologies to generate news articles, reports, and other types of journalism.
- arcpublishing.com .. tools for digital publishers built by the washington post
- bigbird.dev .. artificial news templates
- eliterature.org .. electronic literature organization
- gdeltproject.org .. monitors the world’s broadcast, print, and web news
- spell.run .. end-to-end platform for machine learning
- twipemobile.com .. analytics and ai solutions for newspapers
- unitedrobots.ai .. a similar tool to wordsmith’s to design
- writeup.ai .. artificial intelligence and machine learning to help people write
- Automated journalism
- Brian Timpone (Metric Media Foundation)
- Content management system (CMS)
- Long short-term memory
- Transcription (service)
- The future of AI copywriting is revolutionary, not rubbish (11 Feb 2022)
- The Tow Center newsletter: experimenting with automated news at the BBC (09 Feb 2022)
- Look Who’s Talking: Turn Your Spreadsheets Into Hyperlocal Audio News (04 Feb 2021)
- The Washington Post expands investment in emerging storytelling technology with new Lede Lab (10 Dec 2020)
- AI in journalism : with power come responsibilities (05 Nov 2020)
- Characterizing Communication Patterns between Audiences and Newsbots (09 Oct 2020)
- Language-Generating A.I. Is a Free Speech Nightmare (30 Sep 2020)
- The UAE has a new AI journo: Is artificial journalism a job taker? (18 Sep 2020)
- How AI is used in Journalism (07 Sep 2020)
- AI journalism: What is it and should journalists see it as a threat? (26 Jun 2020)
- The Rise of AI-Assisted Writing – And What That Means for PR (15 Jan 2020)
- How I’m using AI to write my next novel (30 Aug 2019)
- Written By A Machine? The AI Race To Natural Language Generation (25 Jun 2019)
- Robot journalists revive hyperlocal communities left behind by declining regional media (24 Jun 2019)
- Voice + AI: View from the Netherlands Friday (14 Jun 2019)
- The magazine that writes itself (13 Jun 2019)
- Automating the News: How Algorithms Are Rewriting the Media (10 Jun 2019)
- Can science writing be automated? (17 Apr 2019)
- Want to learn about lithium-ion batteries? An AI has written a tedious book on the subject (08 Apr 2019)
- Artificial Intelligence Can Now Write Amazing Content — What Does That Mean For Humans? (29 Mar 2019)
- Q&A on Condé Nast’s Natural Language Processor and Content Analysis (29 Mar 2019)
- Stories by numbers: How BBC News is experimenting with semi-automated journalism (22 Mar 2019)
- Here’s how publishers around the world are using automated news (14 March 2019)
- Editorial innovation in news (14 Feb 2019)
- Robot writers drove 1,000 paying subscribers for Swedish publisher MittMedia (12 Feb 2019)
- Did A Robot Write This? How AI Is Impacting Journalism (08 Feb 2019)
- Meet Bertie, Heliograf And Cyborg, The New Journalists On The Block (06 Feb 2019)
- The Rise of the Robot Reporter (05 Feb 2019)
- Why I created a robot to write news stories (01 Feb 2019)
- This algorithm browses Wikipedia to auto-generate textbooks (09 Jan 2019)
- Forbes writers will use AI to pen their rough drafts (03 Jan 2019)
- Cybernetic newsroom: Why Reuters is marrying human and robot journalism ( 07 Nov 2018)
- The Future of News (03 May 2018)
- Robot Journalism: Can Human Journalism Survive? (2018)
100 Best Automated Insights Videos | 100 Best Dataminr Videos | 100 Best Narrative Science Videos | 100 Best Robotic Process Automation Videos | AI Storytelling Bibliography | Automatic Book Generation | Kristian J. Hammond | Meta Guide Book Bots | News Meta Guide | Natural Language Generation News 2019 | OpenCalais 2018 | Storytelling Meta Guide
- Automated Journalism: Associated Press Automated Insights
- Automated Journalism: Automated Insights Wordsmith
- Automated Journalism: Bloomberg Cyborg
- Automated Journalism: Dataminr
- Automated Journalism: Forbes Bertie
- Automated Journalism: Google Digital News Initiative
- Automated Journalism: Guardian Australia ReporterMate
- Automated Journalism: Narrative Science Quill
- Automated Journalism: News Bots
- Automated Journalism: OpenAI
- Automated Journalism: Reuters Lynx Insight
- Automated Journalism: Trint
- Automated Journalism: Washington Post Heliograf